Sunday, May 14, 2017

To my Sons on Mother's Day

                                                                                                              May 14, 2017

Dear Sons,
This is the 32nd year I have celebrated Mother's Day as a Mom.  In the quiet of the morning I am remembering past Mother's Days and smiling.  I remember the many breakfasts in bed, me lying there, pretending to still be asleep, while you both and your Dad banged and clanged dishes and pots and pans.  I remember the smells of bacon frying and coffee brewing.  I remember the trays of food brought to me in bed that always held at least one flower from the garden.  

I remember homemade cards on construction paper with little hand prints, stickers, wildly colored flowers, and such heartfelt love.  It seemed like the blink of an eye and those homemade cards on the breakfast tray gave way to beautiful purchased cards that you knew would still make me cry. (I know, I know - it is not hard to make me cry.)

I remember the marigolds planted in Dixie Cups, the homemade heart magnets, and all the other treasures you have made for me throughout the years.

Then, I blinked and you were both men,  both taller than me,  both wearing shoes bigger than your Dad's - not my little boys anymore.  Each with your own distinct personalities and your own unique wisdom.

I blinked and one of you were not here for the first time ever on Mother's Day, gone away to college. While I was extremely proud of your choice, I missed you terribly.

I blinked again and the other one of you was not here for the first time ever on Mother's Day, gone overseas to serve our country.    I was also extremely proud of your choice, but I missed you terribly.

Part of me misses those Mother's Days when you were both were so very young and home was your whole world. Part of me misses those days when construction paper cards, breakfasts in bed, and a daffodil picked from the yard were given with such pride and love. I miss those days when you were both small enough to fit in my lap and a kiss and a glass of Koolaid would fix just about anything.  I will forever cherish  those days. Sometimes, they seem like only yesterday.  Some days, it seems like a million years ago.

We've walked some tough roads since those days.  We've had some very hard days, months,and even years.  Some were consequences of our own choices.  Others were paths we never would have chosen, if we had been given the choice. Through it all, the ups and downs, the good and the hard, the joy and the pain,  the chosen and the unchosen,  there were things that remained constant.

We were always there for each other, through the laughter and the pain, one giving strength when the others were weak.  We always knew God was with us, and that He did indeed have a plan, even in what seemed like the darkest of days.

I think most Moms (and Dads) have doubts about their parenting, if they are honest with themselves. Did they do the right things?  Did they do enough of the right things to negate the not right things? Were they available enough? Were they strict enough?  Were they too strict?   I have had all those doubts and many more, but what I can say without any doubt, is that I have loved you both since the very moment I knew you were coming.  I have loved you with a love that is strong and fierce and protective and unconditional.  I am so proud of the men you have become.  You are both faithful, kind, compassionate, loving men.  The world needs more men like you two.

I am so thankful, proud, and yet so humble that God entrusted me to be your Mom.  You both are the reason I get to celebrate this day.

To the moon and back.....

Love,
Mom









No comments:

Post a Comment